The name Lonavla derives from Len (Prakrit, A resting place carved from stone) and Avali (Prakrit, series). Lonavli in Prakrit is a place which has a series of such Len around it. Lonavla was a part of the Yadava dynasty. Later, the Mughals realized the strategic importance of the region and kept the region for an extended time. The forts in the region and the "Mavla" warriors played an important role in the history of the Maratha and Peshwa empires. In 1871, the Lonavla and Khandala hill stations were discovered by Lord Elphinstone, who was the Governor of Bombay Presidency at the time.
It is a popular hill station at an altitude of 2,047 ft above sea level with Salubrious climate, magnificent exquisiteness, historical forts, ancient caves and beautiful lakes. Officially Lonavla is a town and a hill station Municipal Council in Pune district in the Indian State of Maharashtra. It is about 64 kilometres (40 mi) from the city of Pune and 96 kilometres (60 mi) from the city of Mumbai.
It is situated near to the college campus. The dam supplies water to the Khopoli power station at the foothills of the Sahyadris for generating electricity.
The Real Maganlal Agarwal from his sweet meat shop in Lonavala, this was packaged by railway authorities and sold to train travellers between Lonavala and Mumbai, encouraged by this Agarwal renamed gud dani "Maganlal Chikki" however it became and continues to be called Lonavala chikki.
This point commands a view of Shivaji's famous fort, Rajmachi (Royal terrakouioce) and the surrounding valley.
Visible from the highway while driving towards Mumbai. This landmark in Khandala is popular with hikers. Also known locally as Naagphani (Cobra's Hood).
Tiger's Point is a cliff-top with a sheer drop of over 650 m.
Karla caves, located near Lonavla, is a complex of cave shrines built by Buddhist monks around 3rd to 2nd century B.C. A famous temple of Goddess Ekvira Devi is also present here.
An attempt to recreate the Madame Tussauds in Lonavla, the celebrity waz museum is a brain child of Mr. Sunil Kandalloor.
Rajmachi Fort, Tunga Fort, Lohagad Fort, Visapur Fort, Tikona Fort, Koregad Fort
Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj had captured the fort in 1648 A.D. but had to surrender it to the Mughals under the treaty of Purandar in 1665 A.D. The fort was used to keep the treasury the Marathas acquired during the “The Loot of Surat”. It was in the vicinity of this fort where Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj used to meet Sant Tukaram- a saint.
The Visapur fort was built by Balaji Vishwanath-the first Peshwa to Chhatrapati Shahu Maharaj in the earlier 18th century A.D. Making use of its higher elevation and proximity to Lohagad, the British troops set up their cannons on Visapur and bombarded Lohgad, forcing the Marathas to leave the fort. Thus, in 1818, Lohagad-Visapur was taken over by the British in 1818 AD and placed under the command of a Colonel Prother.
During Shahu Maharaj period Balaji Vishwanath was a commander-in-chief. Later Kanhoji Angre joined hands with Shahu Maharaj. Balaji and Kanhoji met near Valvan in Lonavala in January, 1714. They signed a pact with each other on February 28, 1714 and fixed the boundaries of the region for control.
RPTS is a Police Training Centre situated between Lonavla and Khandala.